Cold Feet: I purchased a 7D, but will I regret it? (I currently own a 60D.)

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,052Gear list
Like?
Agree with Danny....
In reply to JustShane, Sep 18, 2012

I'm going to agree with Danny on this one. I have two 1-series bodies (1d Mk4 & 1D Mk2N) plus a 7d. I use all of them for nature and bird photography but mainly use the 1-series bodies for architectural photography.

The 7d is a good all around camera and its autofocus capability is very good. It's obviously not as fast as the 1-series bodies but it's very good and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

The effectiveness of focus point expansion is dependend on knowing when it is advanatgeous to use it.

In a situation as you described with photographing bird moving around on a branch, it would probably be helpful if you are shooting against a clear background such as the sky. If on the other hand the bird is in front of a cluttered up background of branches and leaves, you may be better off using single point to minimize the possibility that the autofocus may lock on a high contrast item in the background driectly behind the bird. This is NOT a drawback of camera. The camera gives you some nice features, but it's up to the individual to know when it's best to use certain ones that help in a given situation. So there is no right or wrong answer to your hypothetical question. It depends on the individual circumstances.

If I were you, I would use the 7d in some situations that are typical for your everyday use, and see how you like it, and how well it performs for you.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow