Still can't believe that Focus Peaking was omitted in the GH3

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
Re: Still can't believe that Focus Peaking was omitted in the GH3
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 18, 2012

Gee, I dunno, I find Panny live magnification and touch screen to be easy enough to use that I don't miss focus peaking. I use a Sony NEX 5 for macro/product shots with legacy macro lenses, and the focus peaking gets me close to critical focus, but I still have to use magnified view for precise focus. Getting into and using that manual view on the NEX 5 is a lot clumsier than on any of my Pannys.

I suppose if I were using legacy lenses with subjects at farther distances and smaller apertures, where depth of field would compensate for inexact focus placement, peaking would be convenient.

When I use legacy wide-aperture lenses, Panny's touch screen magnified view is supremely easy and fast. I compose the image, touch what needs to be sharpest, focus, push the shutter release, all done. No need to repeatedly push buttons to move a focus bracket off-center, no focusing on a centered subject then having to recompose.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome adding focus peaking to the GH3's bag o' tricks, but I don't miss it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow