6D with 11pt AF with one crosspoint?? I mean... wow

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
dominikov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D with 11pt AF with one crosspoint?? I mean... wow
In reply to ohcello, Sep 18, 2012

ohcello wrote:

We'll have to see how it performs, but if 6D AF system if anything like the 5D2's... I'm just really surprised.... I would have expected a 7D level AF system or something close to it...

This was never going to happen with Canon's current strategy of charging a premium for AF on full frame.

If they put a better AF system in the 6D it would cannibalize 5Dmk3 sales. By crippling AF they're forcing anyone who wants a semi/pro AF system to pay another $1300~.

Nikon doesn't have the same dilemma because they have a higher res sensor in the D800 which they can charge a $900 premium for and as a result can offer a better AF system in the entry level model.

Canon's decision to release the 5Dmk3 without a significant increase in resolution left them with no choice but to cripple AF and to a lesser degree frame rate.

The mk3 decision further compounds the problem because a future high res model would also cannibalize mk3 sales if it isn't priced much higher, and unless they charge a lot more for it they'd have to cripple AF there too, whereas the D800 has the D4's AF system.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OK?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow