DIY universal light stand

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 672Gear list
Like?
The point I was trying to make was "universal" with this DIY
In reply to Fave Photog, Sep 18, 2012

With three adjustable legs, the lengths and angles are independently adjustable. I can fit this in tighter locations. Shorter heights of my strobe allow for use of shorter legs.

The tube clamp is perfect for holding a strobe. Unlike a camera, its ok if it sways a bit. The clamp also allows me to easily remove the legs. I keep the tripod center column handy so in a pinch when I need a short tripod and not a light stand, I have one with the same legs.

The Bogen legs also have this 5/8" threaded hole in the side which I have adapted to hold my battery pack. A $5.00 velcro strap from Home Depot fits the VML perfectly and I simply thread a bolt thru the steel buckle in the strap to the tripod.

The best thing about this is it only cost me $5.00 for the strap. The tripod and light stand were just laying around my studio.

I plan to build a larger one soon. I just need to find out which Bogen/Manfrotto light stand is the same diameter as the center tube of a Bogen 3011 or similar tripod. The one I built is based on Bogen 3001 legs and a Bogen 3086 light stand.

Keeping the DIY spirit alive!
Ben

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow