Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveS58
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Olympus Owner Needs Camera Buying Advice
Sep 18, 2012

I've been a very happy Olympus owner for around 8 years, going from an E-300 to E-510 to now an E-30 that I've had for about 2 years. Over the years, I've bought 4 lenses (14-54 version 1, 50mm, 50-200SWD, and 9-18mm). Like many others, I've made a sizable investment in Olympus with no present upgrade path except the 2 year old E-5 that trails behind newer technology, along with the fact that there is no guarantee that there will be more 4/3 sucessors. The new OM-5 does not fast focus 4/3 lenses, and also has an electronic viewfinder which is less appealing to me.

I'm a passionate amateur photographer, enjoying making portraits, landscapes, and especially street photography. Living in NYC, there are many incredible possibilities on the street.

Recently, I've been having several problems with my E-30, with the shutter double shooting with 1 click, and also what looks like a moisture spot on my sensor. I plan on sending the camera in to Olympus to see how much it will cost to fix, but should the estimate come back for more that a couple of hundred dollars, I don't think it's a wise investment.

So what I'm left with then is probably abandoning Olympus and selling my lenses and starting over, which will mean a significant new investment that given the economy, is not so easy to swallow. Olympus always seemed appealing because of the quality and value of their lenses. Being burnt once, at this point I'm probably inclined to go with Nikon or Canon to avoid the risk of investing in gear of smaller, weaker companies.
Any suggestions?

Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow