I cannot believe I am asking this.....

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
You need wide lens
In reply to jameas, Sep 18, 2012

I used xpro1 in Venice and there is very little use for 35 mm in general. The 18mm got most of the work, but surprisingly I used also small xz-1 and the images are pretty good.

Also the best way to see venice: Wake up early!!! If you walk before 8am, venice is fantastic, only the locals are there, visit the fish market, have some coffee, you will have place to sit peacefully and savor the city.

After 9am, it starts pouring tourists. I truly hated venice during the day, especially around rialto where it feels like one giant bus station during rush hour.
Also venice is now full of chinese made c* p...

jameas wrote:

I always cringe when I see members post questions like "what lens should I take to wherever I'm going.....". I cannot help thinking that surely (if the individual has a number of lenses to choose from) they would have a good idea what they should take given their traveling conditions - a decision that must be taken every time they leave the house/caravan/motorhome/house boat etc..

I cannot believe that any city/town/place would command "such and such lens" in order to reach the photographic nirvana to be so desired.

So here is my dilemma. We (i.e. the family - Mr and Mrs E and girl,15 and boy, 11) are off to Venice for five days in late October. Should I (as I would usually do) take my 5DII and (lens selection made on the basis on low payload) the 24-105 (general use) and Sigma 50mm 1.4 (evening, low light - and lighter lens) - I can feel myself running away with my self here - or...........

Just take the X100.

And just for maximum creativity, (just one) speedlite (430EXII over the 580EXII), ND2-400 filter, Yongnuo RF-600TX/RF-602RX wireless transmitter/receiver and a light tripod.

I know. I can hear you all say it. 35mm lens.

"It will make you a better photographer" versus "but you will need to zoom and change lenses"

Frankly, I think I an looking forward to some freedom. And becoming a better photographer.....

Be kind.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X100New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow