Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Photokina dissapoint and m4/3 lens line up
Sep 18, 2012

So, I wasn't exactly expecting the moon. That said, I am dissapointed that the only 3rd party lens announcements were the semi-already known Schneider 14/30/60. I am sure they will be amazing, but at "under" 1500 euros...none will be a puchase for me anytime soon (or likely ever, no matter how good).

Olympus announced the already announced 9 months ago 60mm f/2.8 macro, at actually a price lower than I had expected ($499, and I just might pick one up eventually at that price!), a massively over priced "special edition" 12/2, the 15/8 lens cap and a prototype 17/1.8 with a supposed 2013Q1 release date (I hope they stick to it). The 17/1.8 drool worthy. I just hope it isn't going to drop at $799+. Please, please, please Olympus no more than $499 no matter how good it is. Olympus also dropped the new PENs, which look nice, but I don't really need one of them (at least not anytime soon, though an E-PM2 might be a backup body eventually)

Panasonic also basically introduced the GH3 and the 35-100/2.8. Both at extremely high prices (okay, not ridiculous, but I ain't coming up with basically $1500 for a lens anytime soon, we already established that). Panasonic also "promised" a 42.5mm f/1.2 AWESOME! In 2013/2014. Crap. Oh, wait, I already have the amazing Olympus 45/1.8. That 42.5/1.2 is going to have to be pretty damned amazing and at a pretty low price point to be worth considering anytime soon (that said, I am glad someone is going to push it and come out with an f/1.2 autofocus optic. Now if someone will just do that for a 25mm lens. Say a 25mm f/1.2 or f/1.1, and not too massive). The 150/2.8 is even more interesting, also 2013/2014 sadly. However, knowing Panasonics recent track record, that 42.5/1.2 is probably going to be at least a $799 lens and maybe more like $999 (especially since it has OIS). That 150/2.8 is probably going to be in the same price range or maybe even more.

No one else announced anything. I am still hoping Tamron or Sigma will announce something later this week.

First off I was dissapointed that Olympus didn't announce an affordable 25mm f/1.8. Oh well, I'll finally get the PL25/1.4.

However, there is a MASSIVE hole below 12mm for primes. Heck at 12mm the only choice is the great Olympus 12mm f/2 (if you want autofocus), but at $799 entry price. Over 45mm all you have is the 75mm at $899, now the 60mm f/2.8 macro at $499 and eventually a 150mm f/2.8 in a year or two.

Really, I want to see SOMEONE make an affordable f/2-4 prime in 8-12mm FL and someone make something like a 67mm f/2-2.8 prime. Yes, the Olympus 60mm macro is f/2.8, but I also want something smaller and lighter, even if it can't macro focus and maybe something a little faster. Heck, if they can make a 60mm f/2.8 macro for $499 I'd think they or someone could make a 67mm f/2.2 prime for the same price.

Especially over 45mm I just feel like that is the big hole. The 75mm is really nice looking and the images seem impressive, but it is too much of a jump from 45mm to 75mm for me and a little too long. I miss my 135mm equivelent. I know m4/3 is still pretty young and Tamron and Sigma have "committed" to making lenses/more lenses and I am sure Olympus and Panasonic will keep coming up with new ones, but it still seems like it is going to take forever to fill that 45-75mm hole and maybe have something between 75mm and the future 150mm as well.

a 9mm f/2.8 prime, a 67mm f/2 prime and a 100mm f/2.8 prime would just about give me a full prime line up for all the shooting I ever do/would ever do really. At least with existing glass. I guess part of me is sad that Panasonic choose to make a "redundant" lens as the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is already pretty amazing. Oh sure, the Panasonic is slightly shorter FL and it might be even higher quality and it is a stop and a third faster, but I don't think there were a lot of people crying out for a 42.5mm f/1.2 OIS lens with the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 out there.

Sigh. To hope, to dream, no more.
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow