Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Davey1
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
size matters
Sep 18, 2012

I have a G3 plus a collection of lenses and have been waiting for the GH3. Now the spec's are out I'm not so sure. Although the change in size is modest and I understand that it gives Panasonic a sensible line up GF/GX/G/GH I'd still have preferred sticking to the GH2 size & weight.

The EM5 has good IQ but it's really small and compromised ergonomically as a result. If you put the landscape grip on it's about right but this doesn't give you extra space for better direct controls. It's a good design compromise allowing the product to be 'sized' according to user requirements with the 2-part grip but doesn't give the controls which the GH2 or GH3 have - it's just not big enough to have them.

The G5 is a good form factor, probably similar in size to the EM5 with landscape grip but it also doesn't have the GH series controls. The big win compared to EM5 is the fold out screen and video but the IQ is not quite as good although pretty close.

So, it feels like I'm stuck between G5 and GH3 - I suppose what I really want is the IQ of the new one (assuming it's an improvement and similar to EM5) with most of the direct controls of the GH series but in a GH2 max sized body.

What would you do?
Priced from low to high:

1. keep G3 £ZERO
2. GH2 - they're available new for £450 and probably £350 s/hand - bargain.
3. G5 - £500'ish
4. EM5 + grip £750 + £200 = £950

5. GH3 - I imagine around £1,000 possibly less, Panasonic usually do a deal on new product.

I'd say I'm 95% stills 5% video although the video does interest me so the % will probably change. Really like the idea of slow mo and high performance on the GH3 although I think this is probably possible with GH2 hacks??

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow