GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Brilliant !!!
In reply to tjuster1, Sep 18, 2012

tjuster1 wrote:

Sergey,

You may be right, and I think that's the market Panasonic is targeting. However, Canon, Nikon, and especially Sony are targeting the same market with their mirrorless cameras which offer a larger sensor just like the ones those DLSR users will be giving up. So the question, in my eyes, becomes: will the DLSR users trade in their bulky camera for a m43 mirrorless or APS-C mirrorless? If Sony makes an APS-C camera + lens that's exactly the same size as an m43 camera with same lens, what's the draw of m43?

Remember, most DLSR users never take the lens off their camera, so the incredibly rich variety available in m43 isn't really relevant to them.

I would argue that one of the biggest draws of m43 will continue to be the size of its lenses AND its bodies. While I'm happy for the videographers who've been clamoring for an upgrade of the GH2, I'm not sure the GH3 will be all that successful in converting current DLSR users to m43. The OM-D seems more likely to do that, to me.

I'd have been much more interested in a serious RF-style update--something with the improved sensor, some manual controls, maybe a tilting screen. Something with the size of the GF3 and the controls of the GX1. Throw in any kind of EVF and I think Panasonic would have had a runaway winner on its hands.

We will see that camera with a built in EVF soon, they may call it GX2, from the rumors it will appear before December.

Sergey Borachev wrote:

This GH3 in this size is exactly what is needed in M43 to attract more DSLR users to switch, as DSLRs start to be replaced by MILCs. There is definitely a gap in spite of all the existing models, i.e. a proper size to avoid any compromise in handling as required for serious work. All the fantastic lenses, the excellent video capability, would be wasted if the majority of serious enthusiasts and pros ignore M43 due to something as silly as a size that cramps style and compromises the shooting experience. With more fast and serious lenses like the 75mm f/1.8, the 12-35mm f/2.8 and especially the soon to be announced longer zooms, this size is necessary.

Now, if they could just put the E-M5 sensor in it and add its IBIS, it would be near perfect! Maybe the next OMD

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow