Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sunnyjim
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
I believe in the D800
Sep 18, 2012

I've been looking at grips for my D800. I'm sure I will eventually get one. They are a lot of money, plus I have to get a battery that fits the D4 along with a battery charger. All of that for 6fps, however the camera will be pretty awsome.

I've read it has the same AF engine as the D4 and I can tell you, there is not much to "want for" when it comes to AF with this camera. It's damn fast and accurate. Another thing, the FX mode is really nice for baseball/softball. When I'm over by 3rd base, it was always hard to get the picture I wanted with the 70-200mm lens. I could't zoom back far enough and I don't like changing lenses. The D800 allows me to switch to FX mode and cover the shot, no problem. The FX mode also helps with dug-out shots and team pictures. Don't have the change lenses. I can even cover 3rd base with my 80-400mm lens. The 80-400 reaches in to center field, no problem, and I like using that lens for candid, close up pictures

Another hang up was my old computer. I had to wait a few seconds for each picture open in Nikon Capture NX. I even had to wait while the pictures closed. Also, I couldn't open more that 3 or 4 at once or my computer would lock up.

I have a new HP now and I have never seen pictures open up so fast. They blink on in rapid sucession and I can open as many as I want at one time. I was worried about 36mp clogging up my computer, but my new HP has a 2tb hard drive and handles the pictures faster than I have ever seen before.

The Canon 5DIII would be ideal, but I already have lots of Nikon glass. The D800 high ISO isn't quite a good as the 5DIII, but I like having 15mp in the DX mode. A little give and take there.

I think I'm really going to like this D800 camera once I get it dialed in. At first, I didn't think the D800 was going to make a very good sports camera, but I can see now it is definitely a step up from the D300. I actually started to believe in the camera when my keeper rate significantly increased while photographing softball this summer.

Bob
--
http://www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow