Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Boring day for an E-M5 user
Sep 18, 2012

Yesterday had a spate of announcements:

• GH3

• New PENs

• 10 lens announcements

Yet for some reason, I almost found myself bored enough to convince myself into buying a GF5. So why was I left feeling so ho-hum yesterday? Let me break it down.

GH3 announcement

For an E-M5 user that isn’t interested in video, there is nothing really to suggest that it will offer anything more for the photographer than the E-M5. I doubt that there will be anything in the sensor performance that would make it a compelling upgrade.

New PENs announcement

The new PENs don’t really offer anything for an E-M5 user, they’re not that much more portable, in fact I find it hard pressed to have an E-PM and E-PL line at the moment. They’re almost the same size and the difference in price is negligible once you’re investing in lenses.

10 lenses

• 3 of them were for Schneider, none of those float my boat (that’s just me)

• Panasonic 42.5 and 150, they’re road-mapped, theoretically they may never see the light of day.

• Black Olympus 12mm, it’s not a lens I was that interested in in the first place for its price and it still isn’t even though it is now available in black

• Olympus 60mm macro – this might be interesting if I didn’t have the PL45 already, which I rarely use.

• Olympus 15mm pancake – not going to touch this.

• Olympus 17mm – this IS actually note-worthy to me, except that it doesn’t have a price or availability. It will surely be better than the original in terms of quality.

• Panasonic 35-100 – I’ve known about this for a long time, so it really has no WOW factor anymore.

I’d made a deal with myself that if there was nothing of interest, I’d get the GF5 so that I could have a more portable set up. Fortunately, I came to my senses. There is really nothing wrong with the GF5 except that it would have been a somewhat pointless purchase.

• I already have an E-M5, it seriously isn’t that much bigger once you factor in the lenses you’ll carry. I’d rather keep the boost in performance.

• If you’re going to go MORE portable than m43, go truly pocketable.

At the end of the day, I may have just talked myself into an RX100.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow