Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,430
Like?
Potential new Sony SLT buyer here
Sep 18, 2012

I love shooting with an EVF. The ability to see exposure changes in real time is very helpful for the kind of photography that I do. In addition to typical travel photography, some portraits and the occasional wedding, I spend the better part of the Fall shooting renaissance festivals. The change in bright sunlight and shade has often frustrated my Nikon exposure metering. I still own a D7000 and D700, but those have fallen out of favor for casual shooting due to my recent infatuation with M4/3. I have the top of the line OMD EM5, but the size and sensor leaves a little to be desired. It is lacking somewhat. Anyway, I realized that what I enjoy most, isn't the small form factor, though that is nice, but rather the glorious EVF.

So, until Nikon releases an APSC EVF camera, I think my most obvious choice is a Sony SLT. I have decided on the A57, 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 2.8, with thoughts on renting my way thru some of the nicer glass to figure out what sticks for me.

I consider myself an advanced amateur, have won a few notable photo competitions and have been published in an international photo mag.... So I have an idea of what to expect as well as what I am looking for in my equipment. I really hope that what the Sony offers will fit my needs.

Can anybody shed some of their own experience based on what I described above? If I like the SLT experience I may ditch the D700 for the A99.

Also, is there some limitation preventing the pellicle mirror from being removed in future Alpha models? There is no mirror on the NEX series....is this just a limitation of AF? As on chip AF improves do you suppose the SLT wil go full mirrorless?

Thanks for reading this long ramble. I look forward to discussing the new gear when I get it.
--
Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow