OVF vs EVF put to rest

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Cruickshank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693
Like?
Re: OVF vs EVF put to rest
In reply to Lee Jay, Sep 18, 2012

ljfinger wrote:

I guarantee you won't get it, but what the heck.

This is an R/C model that was going about 200mph and was only maybe 60 feet away. You could never track it with a laggy EVF - too slow. It was hard to even turn my body fast enough.

Doubt there would be any problem getting it with A65/A77 and presumably A99.

Spent Saturday doing airshow shots with an A700 and A77.

Biggest problem with framing was physically turning fast enough and pulling back zoom on fast approachs. That obviously affected both cameras.

The only advantage that I found with the A700 is in low contrast very bright conditions where the AF is struggling against a small distant low contrast target. It's a bit easier to make out OOF difficult targets with the OVF in the these conditions which makes tracking the target easier while the AF catches up.

The A77 had no perceptible display lag. With first electronic curtain shutter it reacts slightly quicker IMO to capture crossing targets. I found I was using the A700 on high speed drive mode to capture bursts whereas with the A77 I was clicking of single shots.

The only time it was obvious that it wasn't an OVF in the A77 was when dealing with helicopters or slower moving propellers where there is a flicker effect like a movie.

-- hide signature --

Andrew.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow