Would you still consider to go with Pentax?

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you still consider to go with Pentax?
In reply to flektogon, Sep 17, 2012

I guess Photokina and the PMA are like silly season for camera geeks. I wonder if camera/electronics companies realize their own craziness at this 18-month/2-year upgrade cycle they push on all of us? Unnecessary consumerism, I think. Unless one really has specific needs, what is the point?

Who exactly is it that needs the latest and greatest? I look in on the pro forum from time to time and, while they may not be a representative sample, they seem more preoccupied with business considerations, specifically staying in business. Given that one can take really great photos with "old" DSLRs, are these the people who will upgrade? Maybe not if they want to keep costs down. I imagine your real top flight photographers are sponsored anyways, so its not like they would care either.

As for myself, and I think many others, no compelling reason to upgrade or switch systems. The only systems that come close to what I personally want at a price I can afford are the Olympus Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the latest Panasonic GH3, but I'd still go with Pentax.

I expect when the next really new generation of Pentax DSLR comes out (2014?), there will be some compelling reasons to upgrade, for me at least.

flektogon wrote:

Looking at the flooding of new exciting cameras I am just asking myself again and again whether to buy Pentax (4 years ago) was not a mistake. There is nothing wrong with the Pentax, just it looks like it is not going to surprise you with anything excited in the future. On the other side it is not so bad, you just have to keep your mouth (and wallet) shut and carry on with shooting

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
YesNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow