Updated specs on the EOS 6D

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mikael Risedal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927
Like?
Re: Exposure. MYTH MYTH and MYTH
In reply to qianp2k, Sep 17, 2012

learn how a digital sensor works

this identical exposed cameras, and they are exposed after the high lights so the sky and clouds are reproduced without clipping and then corrected in the lower levels, middle tones so we can se the landscape

Only a camera with a large dynamic range can reflect/reproduce the motif well and preferably with out banding and pattern noise

d800 to the left and one of mine 5dmk2 to the right

qianp2k wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

oscarvdvelde wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I don't need and don't want to pull shadow 4-5 stops so it's not that critical to me.

In a correctly exposed shot you would rarely need to lift shadows...

The only reason a "correctly exposed" shot would not require shadow lifting is because the shadows are displayed dark per the tone curve applied to the photo.

Shadows are shadows as your eyes see. Exposure is displayed in histogram. Towards left is under-exposure while towards right is over-exposure

...but look at it from the other side. You may wish to recover blown highlights.

This is impossible, by definition. Anything blown is blown. Period. What you can do, as you suggest in the paragraph immediately below, is use a lower exposure (as opposed to "underexpose") to preserve the highlights and then apply the appropriate tone curve to the photo.

Not quite true. You always can recover some details in highlights unless it’s well beyond 18% grey-level.

If the camera offers you 4-5 stops cleaner shadows you can underexpose to save the highlights and pull the whole image back to what it should look like, without getting much noise.

As I said above, this is not "underexposure", but rather using a lower exposure to preserve the highlights, in combination with the desired tone curve to render the desired photo.

This is not a free ride but comes with the price of extra noises after lifting shadow. Your lower exposure is the same as under-exposure from the perspective of histogram as most people understand.

The whole notion of "underexposure" and "overexposure" only have meaning in terms of the visual properties of the final photo. An "underexposed" photo means that a higher exposure would have resulted in a better photo, and an "overexposed" photo means that a lower exposure would have resulted in a better photo.

From the perspective of histogram.

If a lower exposure results in a better photo, then the lower exposure is not "underexposed". This is more than semantics -- it is central to photography, and directly tied to the DR capabilities of the sensor.

That tactic (that exposed on highlights then pull shadows extremely) or extreme shadow pulling doesn’t result better photos as we have seen enough. It usually results to HDR surreal look and more noises in shadow areas. That usually destroys color tonality and accuracy. It doesn’t replace the traditional better photography techniques such as using GND filters on highlights and expose on mid-tone if you could. It’s largely the mid-tone determines IQ not shadows nor highlights areas. Personally I also more care highlight recovery and only need to pull shadow moderately on my taste.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Life is a battle wishes aunt Titti

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow