GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,124Gear list
Like?
Re: AF video question
In reply to larsbc, Sep 17, 2012

larsbc wrote:
Anders W wrote:
[snip]

My video experience with this camera (or any other) is so far extremely limited. So I had to check. But yes it works. This is the way I managed to set it up the way you like.

1) Change video AF-mode from AF-C (default) to AF-S (custom menu, AF section)

2) Switch to video mode on the mode dial (I have the red video button reassigned to do DoF preview in still mode)

3) AF by half-pressing the ordinary shutter button and then depress it fully to start video capture

4) Do another AF cycle whenever you like by pressing the red video button (which turns out to do AF but nothing else in this mode; I had no idea until now what it would actually do but happily it worked just right when my intuition told me to try it ;))

5) Depress shutter button fully again to end video capture

Ah, thanks very much for that!!!

Oh, one other question, is the AF point visible when recording video? In other words, when you press the shutter release to force it to re-autofocus, can you actually see which area it will be AF'ing on?

No, the AF frame is visible when you AF with the shutter button before beginning video capture only. I guess that it continues to use the frame you set beforehand nevertheless and it is not difficult to know roughly where that is and roughly how large it is, at least if you have it in the center, but you can't see it. Not sure why and not sure whether there is an option to make it visible somehow. Perhaps someone with more E-M5 video experience than I can help out here.

My interest in the OM-D has waned a bit, now that I see that the GH3 supports wireless flash and looks to have excellent ergonomics...but the OM-D's IBIS is very difficult to ignore. Panasonic or Olympus really should just let me dictate what features to include in their cameras. Things would be so much easier for me, then.

Yes, I know the feeling. Always these trade-offs. Before the E-M5, I always wanted the built-in EVF and better sensors of the Panys, especially the GH2, but also the IBIS and the wireless flash of the Olys. Finally managed to get all of that together with the E-M5 and there's not so much I really desire in the new GH3 that I don't already have, except perhaps a bigger grip, a fully articulated LCD, and an electronic shutter option. But I can see that others may reason differently, especially video shooters.

Right now, the GH3 is ticking more boxes for me than the OM-D. But the in-body stabilization box happens to be rather large.

You have my understanding.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow