GH3 same old, Panasonic listen up, we need PDAF on sensor

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
dgreene196
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 same old, Panasonic listen up, we need PDAF on sensor
In reply to Gavin Stapleton, Sep 17, 2012

Gavin Stapleton wrote:

To me, there's a couple of features missing from the GH3 before it can be considered "pro". EG: Top backlit info LCD display panel, ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter all spring to mind. Weather sealing doesn't make it pro, as has been demonstrated by the Pentax K-30. Otherwise I think it's a step in the right direction. I'm dearly hoping the 1/4000 shutter specification is wrong...

Legitimate question: Is there any advantage to a 1/8000 shutter in videography? [Side note: there's some great debate in the Nikon FX forums about the 1/4000 vs 1/8000 (since the shiny new D600 also maxes out at 1/4000)]. Given that the GH3 is particularly focused to folks that want a capable video camera as much as a stills camera, I'm really okay with the 1/4000 vs. 1/8000 - I used to own a D7000 which was capable of this feat, and, going back, I had absolutely no frames in the several hundred I reviewed (focusing especially on outdoor pictures) that actually used that particular shutter speed.

As for the true meaning of "pro," I think it's variable depending on the individual. My definition of pro is whether or not a professional is using a given device.

dgreene196's gear list:dgreene196's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MythNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow