GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....
In reply to larsbc, Sep 17, 2012

larsbc wrote:

Anders W wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Thx for the response. I have some other questions about the OM-D but perhaps I should post them in a new, separate thread.

Either way works fine with me. If there's anything I can help out with, I'll try to answer here or in the other thread when I see it appear.

Well, since you're watching this thread anyway...

when recording a video, can the camera be set so that continuous AF is off, but if you press a button, it will then re-autofocus?

Basically, I'd like to be able to start recording a video by having the AF point on a subject. When recording starts, the camera will autofocus on whatever's in the AF point. During the rest of the recording, I don't want the focus to change at all, regardless of whether the subject moves or not. BUT I do want the option to manually force the camera to re-autofocus while the recording is still continuing.

On the GH2, I can do this by turning off the Continuous AF feature.

My video experience with this camera (or any other) is so far extremely limited. So I had to check. But yes it works. This is the way I managed to set it up the way you like.

1) Change video AF-mode from AF-C (default) to AF-S (custom menu, AF section)

2) Switch to video mode on the mode dial (I have the red video button reassigned to do DoF preview in still mode)

3) AF by half-pressing the ordinary shutter button and then depress it fully to start video capture

4) Do another AF cycle whenever you like by pressing the red video button (which turns out to do AF but nothing else in this mode; I had no idea until now what it would actually do but happily it worked just right when my intuition told me to try it ;))

5) Depress shutter button fully again to end video capture

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow