Post Photokina where does the E-PL5 fit into the scheme of things?

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chembro
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Post Photokina where does the E-PL5 fit into the scheme of things?
Sep 17, 2012

I have an Oly E30 with E510 and E410 as backups, and I have been saving and priming myself for an OMD-EM5 upgrade in October. Now with the new Pens having the Sony sensor I am having second thoughts. Do I wait for an EM6 to come along with hopefully better ability to use my substantial collection of e43 lenses? Or do I keep the E30 for formal daylight and landscape photography and buy an E-PL5 with a couple of primes for an easy carry, better low light performance and improved DR?

I use the E510 with my Zuiko 18-180 or 25 2.8 for walking round the city, museums etc. but would like to do more casual street photography. The E410 fitted with the 25mm makes an easy carry for bike rides but is a bit limiting. I have a Zuiko 8mm FE for 360 degree panoramas and a Sigma 105mm macro for the little creatures and flowers.

I like trekking in distant places so weight and versatility are important. The Himalayas, Vietnam and the non-tourist parts of the Great Wall in China have featured recently.

I don't take sports photographs very often, well, only white water kayaking in daylight and that's not really fast.

The price differential is important but not the critical factor. I don't take important photos in the rain and I could carry round an Oly Tough in the bottom of my bag for wet weather snaps.

I am very fond of the E30 features, especially with the Zuiko 12-60 lens, even if I have to nurse it carefully in pp to obtain really sharp images for camera club competitions. I am the only club member in a hundred who shoots Oly. Canikon rules in camera clubs.

There is too much choice or not enough, and never the perfect camera. Would anyone like to advise me on the best compromise all-round camera for this year or next. I can keep my wallet in my pocket for a year or so if I have to.

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow