Natural light wedding photographers

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Freeman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610
Like?
Re: Natural light wedding photographers
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Sep 17, 2012

Yes, I have often wondered that myself. My theory is that these people just don't want to be bothered with auxilary lighting equipment, and somehow con both themselves and their clients into thinking that "natural" is better. I"m guessing there's also a large amount of ignorance regarding how to enhance the light that's present. Sure, with a fast lens and jacked up ISO you can get a good exposure, but often, little else. As already mentioned, it's not so much about the quantity of light, but the QUALITY.

Indoor lighting is one of the worst possible conditions for people photography. The light is almost always coming from a very high angle, which creates terrible shadows on faces. A few years back I saw some images from a well-known wedding photograher who used natural lighting for the processional shots in a church.There were three nose shadows on the bridesmaids' faces from the ceiling lights; one below, and one on either side of the nose. Add in the racoon eyes, and she ended up with some butt-ugly pictures. Unfortunately, I suspect that there is so much poor photography these days that most people accept this as the norm.

I love natural light when it's the QUALITY that I like, but more often than not, I'm modifying what's there, even outdoors.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow