Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JonRoberts
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Buying into Alpha
Sep 17, 2012

First, some background. I had previously been a Nikon user before I switched to the Nex system after I decided I needed something more accessible to shoot photos of my kids, and easy to cart around. Well, now that the kids are older and beginning to get into sports, I've been looking at SLR's (or SLT's in this case) again to shoot sports and portraits of them. I've been a fan of the innovation Sony has been achieving in the photo world, so I've pretty much decided on buying into the Alpha system.

Now, my issue comes with how to buy in. I'd love to enter the world of full frame cameras, but that's not going to happen right now due to price. But in a couple years an Alpha full frame I'm sure will be affordable. I'm trying to stay under $3500 for an initial 'Buy in'. The issue is, do I spend more on a body now, say an a77 with the 16-50 (knowing I can't use the 16-50 on full frame later) plus the 70-300 G for sports shooting, or do I go with an a57, the 70-300G and say a Sony 24mm f2 to start building up the lens collection? I'm a big fan of shooting with primes, and still use my Nikon 50mm 1.8d on my NEX quite a bit. So the allure of the Sony Zeiss primes is there for the Alpha system. I'm leaning towards skimping on the body now (not that the a57 is skimping) and spending more on lenses. Any other lens suggestions? The new 50mm Zeiss rumored will most definitely be on my short list.

Only concern I have with the Alpha system is whatever is going on with the flash hotshoe change over right now. Makes me leery of buying a flash. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow