ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wezzzor
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Nikon J1 for under water and surf photography
Sep 17, 2012

Hi everybody.

Currently i use an Olympus E5 to shoot surf photos from the shore. I really want to get into the water and start shooting videos and stills of a few local breaks and a local friendly dolphin.

I dont make any money from photos, i do it for the love of shooting. therefore i cant justify spending 2k+ on a housing for the E5.

I have an Olympus EPL2 which i have considered but i dont think its up to the task. 3.5 fps and 30 fps in video is not quite what i'm after. The Olympus OEM housing is the cheapest housing and retails at 550 euro.

I have considered waterproof compacts but they seem to all fall short in the quality department.

I'm currently using a gopro hd but the wide angle means you have to get really close which is not always safe.

This is where the J1 enters. It has amazing high FPS and does video at 60fps, ideal for slowing the video down. The J1 can be got at a fairly reasonable price 2nd hand online.

There is also a cheap waterproof housing for the J1 for about 100 euro.
here is the link to the housing.

http://www.linkdelight.com/PO139-40M-Underwater-Housing-Camera-Case-for-Nikon-J1-V1.html

Just wondering has anybody used the J1 for surf photography in the water?

has anybody got any experience with this housing?

Thanks, Wesley.

Nikon 1 J1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow