Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
iano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
OMD sensor?? Same as pens????
In reply to Anders W, Sep 17, 2012

Anders W wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

This seems to support the rumors that the sensor comes from someone other than Panasonic. If Sony or someone else is fabbing the sensor, they probably didn't have a line set up that could make an oversize, multii-aspect sensor.

Don't think that would have been a problem. MFT sensors are hardly off-the-shelf items. They are built to the specs of the two camera manufacturers that might order them. And the extra cost of adding a millimeter or so of sensor real estate is presumably trifling.

The only explanation I can see is that Pany (and Oly if they went together on this) tried to cut costs by standardizing on a single sensor rather than two different ones and didn't find the multi-aspect feature sufficiently important to offer it across the board even though the cost of doing so would probably have been next to nil.

If indeed the same sensor as the OMD is in the GH3 then as it is in the pens as well this sensor is a volume product and multi aspect would not make sense unless all the cameras used it...and they may not all have room!

For the big GH3 to use the same sensor as the new pens would be a surprise. Total pixel count does not match, but give the sensors are the same size and have the exact same pixel density it could just be different way of quoting numbers

Note that this potential explanation applies, as far as I can see, with equal force regardless of who actually designed and manufactured the sensor, be it Pany, Sony, or someone else.

Anders W wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Why they cut it short on that cam is beyond me. It seems, going by this forum, they have underestimated how much users appreciate it. Because it is pretty much a dealbreaker for me and I am not the only one...

Yeah, that's incomprehensible too (if the G5 actually has the GH2 sensor). Presumably, it's just a matter of firmware whether it is there or not.

Increasing the image circle is costly (bigger body, bigger lenses). Making efficient use of the image circle, no matter what aspect ratio you need for a particular shot, is practically for free. So why the h*ck don't they do it on all MFT cams. Seems like an obvious feature to me.

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow