Almost ran into this guy in my yard

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
kaw209
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
Re: Almost ran into this guy in my yard
In reply to Ceci Land, Sep 17, 2012

Ceci Land wrote:

Sweet photo. I like the red spikes on yours.

Thanks! They're quite colorful; I saw a picture of one online that was bright yellow instead of white!

I grew up in the south and never ran into one until yesterday. Go figure. I'm in MS so I bet you're right and they're a southern thing. I did bounce around the country outside of the south for twenty years, so I'll say that's my excuse for not seeing one before.

When you're staring at that squat carapace through a macro, did you get the same notion I did?...it looks like a freaking planetoid! It's curved and even has holes in it. Gotta love manual focus assist/magnify.

I have to confess to not getting THAT close of a look at it--I was using the PL 45mm f2.8 macro lens and could therefore use AF. Now I'll have to use one of my manual-focus macro lenses and go hunt for another one, just to get the "out of this world" experience I think they resemble crabs and I used to call them "crab spiders" before I found out there's a completely different type of spider that is called a crab spider.

-- hide signature --

Kim

If everything happens for a reason, what's the reason?!
http://flickr.com/photos/kaw209

kaw209's gear list:kaw209's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow