Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jj12
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Nex 7 LEA-2 Sigma 17 50 2.8 OS query.
Sep 17, 2012

Now that we pretty much know the Nex G Zoom is not going to be available until next year I would like to find a short term solution. Up till now I have been using the kit zoom which is OK but does not fully capitalise on the excellent Nex 7 sensor - (previous post of mine) I am unfortunately restricted in my choices as I have to image stabilisation and that even more so with the Nex 7. This fact eliminates all rangefinder and most other third party lenses. I tried the E 50 but found it too restrictive in the focal range and in any case I prefer zooms - the one lens solution. There is now a new possibility in the form of the E 35 1.8 and I may well have to settle for this. The problem with it for me is that when I look at the focal range of my favourite shots they range right across the board, everything from 18 to 105.

I would not consider going back to DSLR for all the reasons of size and weight and because I think the output from the 7 is excellent and allows large prints, which I do all the time, and when needed cropping. I realise that the Lea-2 and Sigma would be larger and heavier, defeating the raison d'être of the 7, but it would only be a short term fix until the G Zoom arrives.

I have searched this forum and there are at least 2 or 3 people who have the Lea-2 and Sigma on their Nex. My question is to ask how they find it in day to day use, the optical quality, and things like focus accuracy, metering and importantly how does it fair with manual focusing.

Apologies for the long winded intro but it is partly to prevent people giving helpful suggestions which don't apply in my situation.

If I don't hit on the people with the Sigma combination right now I will keep the question alive for a while.

Any opinions much appreciated.

John
P.S. The Sigma/Sony 17 50 is available with OS

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow