Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
My new RX100 experience
Sep 17, 2012

Since a few days I do have a rx100 that takes the place of my canon S95.

I do use the small cams during my business travels around europe and as a street photography tool. My a57 comes into play for all other jobs with total satisfaction.

However I felt the urge to replace my s95 because I missed a unobtrusive pocketable cam that would serve me with for me acceptable pics with ISO 800 - 1600 setting with a minimum shutter time of 1/125. This because I find myself quit often in airports where shooting is a great pleasure ( melting pot of people , action and emotions) whereas my S95 just lacks about 2 stops to be " good".

I do not want to go much bigger in terms of size as I use to hold the cam in the interior of my hand , keep it in my blazer pocket. zone focussed , ready to shoot everything between roughly between 1,5 and 10-15 metres. I prefer to this close to the action with the 28 or 35 focal length ( ff equivalent). With the xr100 This implies an aperture of let' say f4 to get where I want with iso 800 in mind. With the s95 on iso 640 and f2 I tend to miss the shots due to too long shutterspeed . (blurry) . I do not want to go higher with the S95 on ISO as the total detail disapear and noise gets bad with smearing .

Now the big surprise for me is that the RX100 just gives me the 2 stops extra that I wanted PLUS better IQ overall . I have to give in with 1 aperture stop in order to get the desired DOF but I do get in return 3 iso stops to play with before reaching S95 level of IQ in circumstances described above. One lucky man I am with this cam that must be a big addition in the street shooters gear line up ! It is for me the best ever encountered in this respect.

I have been able in the past weekend to compare shots from my S95 Canon with the sonys a57 and rx100 and just to cut it short , my rough take is ( as maybe to be expected):
Sony s95 + 30% = RX100 + 30% = SLT A57.

This 30% means overall peformance in IQ and speed . Other features I don't judge here !

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow