ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Innes
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice
Sep 17, 2012

Hello,

Been a Nikon user for the last 15 years (mainly their better amateur cameras - D300 latest), and now finally decided to upgrade to a full frame camera. Although the D800 is impressive, I think I've kind of fallen for the 5D Mark III in terms of its overall performance and particularly the video performance.

Given I'm moving up in the camera world, I want to start investing in some decent glass to go with my new purchase. Any fast lenses I've previously owned (i.e. f2.8 throughout) have come from the Tamron and Sigma families due to cost.

However, I want to go Canon own lenses now, and I'm toying between the 24-105 L f4.0 lens and the 17-55mm f/2.8. They both come in at similar prices (or appear to where I have looked online).

This will be my main walkaround and just interested in people impressions of both of them.

(The new 24-70mm looks amazing but bit out of my price range given the amount I'm about to spend on the mk3.......)

Thanks everyone and still can't quite believe I'm moving systems, Nikon has been good to me - but that mk3.....

Richard.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.

Richard Innes's gear list:Richard Innes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow