Updated specs on the EOS 6D

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Btw, can somebody explain me what is the use of WiFI on a camera?
In reply to cs hauser, Sep 17, 2012

I mean, my WiFi at home has max download speed of 1,8 Mb/sec.
With 32 GB card it will take an eternity to download photos.

Old 5Dmk2 + cabel is at least 3-4 times faster.
Newer Oly Pen1 downloads with 12Mb/sec.

cs hauser wrote:

Digicam-info.com was the original source of the leaked 6D specs. They have since quietly updated it with more information. Seems to be accurate, in light of the Adorama accidental leak:

• 20.2 MP @ 4.5 fps

• Brand new 11-pt AF system that is "strong" in low light

• 1/4000 max shutter speed

• Built-in GPS

• Built-in Wi-Fi

• Dust & Splash proof Magnesium Alloy Body

• Dimensions: 5.65" x 4.35" x 2.8"

• Weight: 755 g (with battery)

• SD cards only

• Viewfinder: 97% coverage and 0.71x magnification

• $2,099 introductory price

• December 2012 release date

Notice that the camera will be the same size as an EOS 40D, and in fact it will be lighter. The specs are rather underwhelming compared to the D600. Canon appears to be betting that the built-in Wifi and built-in GPS will justify the pedestrian specs on everything else. The Nikon D600 will require about $250 in clumsy external accessories for GPS and wifi connectivity.

I hope Canon will at least get creative with that built-in Wi-Fi. Providing aps for cellphones to remotely control the camera would be a start.

I'm hoping that the 11-pt AF system isn't as bad as it sounds. Hopefully they will all be cross-type, even if only the center point is f2.8. I'm also quite certain that there will be many (non-selectable) assist points in addition to those 11. Without assist points, an 11-pt AF system would actually be a downgrade from the original 5D, which had 15 total points. I don't think Canon will be so crazy as to take a further step back from the original EOS 5D AF system.

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow