Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)
In reply to cugrizz, Sep 17, 2012

cugrizz wrote:

So I am going to buy my first DSLR. I have been doing some research and I was planning to buy the Nikon D5100. I feel like it has everything that I would want for some better photography.

However, I was just offered a Canon 350D with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm, and 55-250) and a crumpler bag. Price would be 500 dollars.

I know the 350D is an older camera, but it has only a few thousand pictures taken. But again, it is much older than the 5100. But, I have been told that even older DSLR cameras are better than my current p/s. So would it be ideal to just get the newer camera with the kit lens (18-55) or get the older camera with many lenses? Not sure what is the ideal move.

(also I am not a canon or nikon brand loyalist so either brand is ok with me)

Any thoughts? Thank you.

The 350D is indeed an old camera in the context of DSLR development. It has 8 megapixels and gets noisy over ISO 800. Also, I suspect that the 18-55 is the original one, which has poor sharpness and isn't stabilized. So while it's better than some P&S cameras it may not be better than, say, an S100.

So unless you need the money to keep a roof over your head, I'd go with the D5100, which can produce dramatically better pictures than a 350D.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow