Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,914Gear list
Like?
Re: Good point with the Yen! Re: D600, for me too little, too late for too much
In reply to ThomasH_always, Sep 17, 2012

ThomasH_always wrote:

mosswings wrote:

$25,000? Wow, I wish I had that photo budget.

PS: It is a result of 30 years of collecting and preserving a percentage of a value. 25k prorated on 30 years is... $833 per anno! This sounds now suddenly much more reasonable. Trust me, many people who photograph have such value of equipment, they just often do not add up the prices of the stuff lying around.

I hear you. I recently cleaned out my closet and unearthed a 30 year old Minolta X570 and a 20 year old Canon EOS-10. Total value: $250 for the lenses. Bodies: zip.

One of the things that kicks up the cost is the fact that digital now puts the darkroom and the photo album on our computers, so one has to buy sufficient computing power and storage and photo-quality monitors do actually view what one's shot. That alone can be $2000-$3000 depending on the size and quality of the monitor. Lightroom is, thankfully, now relatively cheap; but if one wants to move into pixel-level editing, ouch.

There's a lot of up front costs now in digital that one didn't quite notice in the film era, though the incremental costs in the film era probably equalled that of the current era.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow