I cannot believe I am asking this.....

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
boinkphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
The sort of oxymoron of tyros going light...
In reply to jameas, Sep 17, 2012

I don't say this in reference to this particular post, but it is a good segway:

I don't know about the rest of you, but since you're on DPreview, there's a good chance you're like me in that you've collected a lot of nice camera equipment.

So, you've got the 70-200 f2.8 and maybe the 24-70mm f2.8, and the bomber pro-body, some good heavy primes (105mm f2.8 macro), 50mm f1.4, etc. Then the flashes, the extra body, the tripod and so on.

Yet, when it comes to travel, you're thinking (and this is me too ) "I'd like to go light". You then end up going with some wonky distorted super zoom, or maybe a small P&S, or limited good equipment where you wish you had your longer zoom, or something else to "keep it light".

But the dumb thing is - well, isn't heading to the exotic place exactly where I want the kick-ass lenses? Isn't it where I want my best body?

Anyway, again I struggle with this too - often the best camera equipment stays home because it's "too heavy". But if it's going to stay home, well, what's it's purpose? To say you have it? To shoot your kids?

That sort of seems to miss the whole point of picking up all this expensive stuff...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X100New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow