If not the 24-70 on my D800, what would take its place?

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
mhammon
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Re: If not the 24-70 on my D800, what would take its place?
In reply to Michael Benveniste, Sep 16, 2012

Michael,

You are a true gentleman and I appreciate your reply. I learned much from it. All too often we get stupid and insulting replies to a post asking for help.

Thanks also to you all for your information on alternatives for handheld work with the D800+24-70 combination. There was good information in all of them.

I use a Mac and I see this weekend that Reiken is beta testing their Mac version of Focal. I'll get it when it goes final and test all my lenses, but particularly the 23-70.

I'll also rent the 24-85 and 24-120 to see if I notice any better IQ with my 66yo hands.

This weekend I went to a winery and, after a very small tasting, walked out amongst the groves on a day when the sun went in and out of clouds here in Northern Virginia. After re-reading Thom's D800 guide on shooting techniques, I concentrated on sweet spot apertures, no less than 1/250 second shutter speed, low ISO (100-400), and good body technique.

Things were better and, as my use of the camera increases, I expect to see improvements. Here are some of the images.

I tested the body for the left focus issue when I got it in August and found none. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see any here, either.

All images were hand-held and are straight from the camera and LR4, no sharpening, no changes to exposure, etc. I couldn't resist including an HDR image of the pond; it was done in Nik HDR Efex Pro2.

Thanks again to all,
Mike

mhammon's gear list:mhammon's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow