OVF vs EVF put to rest

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: OVF vs EVF put to rest
In reply to BMWX5, Sep 16, 2012

BMWX5 wrote:

Ad or not EVF is proven to be better than OVF in many applications. It is the same for people who kept saying "I will never go digital." At the end of the day, if you can't embrace advanced technology then it is your loss.

First of all the video has an agenda and you could just as easily produce a video coming from the opposite side, promoting OVF over EVF.

Also, key in your comment above is "better than OVF in many applications." Many, not all! I would agree with this. EVF has many advantages, but for me, not enough yet to outweigh good OVF.

As for those who said they "will never go digital", I was very close to saying this in the early days of 4-5Mp cameras, however, my way to go digital was to buy a Minolta Dimage 5400 film scanner, enabling me to get nearly 40Mp images from 35mm film scans. So, I'm not a Luddite, I'm just fussy.

To me, 2.4Mp EVF displays are at the same level that digital was with the above mentioned 4-5Mp cameras, or worse. Yes, EVF will get there eventually, but to me, those of you that swear by it now, are the same type of people who were happy with early digital cameras, which were fine for 4x6 or maybe 6x8 prints, but no good at all for 16x20 prints.

You might think EVF is good right now, but when you get a 5Mp display, you'll wonder how you managed with your 2.4Mp EVF. You'll feel the same when you get 10Mp and when, in maybe 5-10 years time we get a 36Mp EVF, I'll definitely be happy with EVF.

Most EVF lovers think that I'm ridiculous to say the above, but that's based on inadequate understanding of the true capabilities of the human eye, I'm afraid.

I know that I will not convince EVF lovers to my viewpoint, or even to accept that my view may have some actual validity, despite my willingness to understand the benefits of EVF and why they want to use it. Neither view is right or wrong. What's right, is what's right for you or me.

And no, I'm not a CaNikon fanboy or lover, in fact, I've made it a point to avoid their products for the more than 35 years that I've been into photography. I can stay with Sony by buying secondhand A900s and A850s.

I can embrace advanced technology, but only when it's advanced enough for me to enjoy it more than current proven technology, that, let's face it, has been producing perfectly acceptable results for a long time.

Enjoy your EVF, while I enjoy my OVF, but you'll never put this to bed as we all have to agree to differ.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow