Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
One camera for stills and video
Sep 16, 2012

I am looking for one camera that I could use for both stills and video. My camcorder recently died and when researching camcorders one reviewer commented that one may want to consider something like a Canon S100, which my wife has, because it would shoot video close to the camcorder being reviewed and do stellar still shots.

I had already been very impressed with the still picture quality of the S100 but never tried the video; after doing so I was indeed impressed. I having a Nikon D3100 and the video is poor and have come to learn that mirrorless cameras and better at video.

I would just use my wife's S100 and call it good but due to disability, quadriplegic, the small S100 is very hard for me to handle and to get good shots it takes time to get it off. On my D3100 I can take shots very quickly, with being able to bring it up to my face for stability I can quickly spin the lens in and out for zoom and take a shot. With a compact I almost never use the powered zoom, I am too slow at working it.

So besides a camera the does stills and video well, I prefer one with a view finder. That said, if something like a Nex-5N is the way to go, then I will not rule it out. A NEX-7 or 5N with the add-on EVF seems to be a great way to go, unfortunately that is getting too expensive. I have read where a NEX-6 is coming, but doubt that it will come with an EVF. It is possible that a NEX-5N camera would be large enough for me to handle and function without bringing it to my face, but I haven't made it in store to try yet. One down side of the NEX camera's I read is its slow focus, this concerns me. Also, with my disability I am not the steadiest shot, so image stabilization is a must.

I probably could have saved a lot of typing and asked, is there anything as good/better than the NEX-5N for shooting both at its price? ...or any recent rumors of something; we all know as time marches on things get better...maybe I should wait.

Most of my photo's are of my son, currently 5, whether at home or sporting events; I enjoy an occasional car show, where I have come to love the 18-55 lens on the Nikon, as I can be close to the car for a shot.

Opinions and thoughts are welcome.

Brian's gear list:Brian's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Nikon D3100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow