Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FauxMho
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
G1X continues to amaze me with IQ
Sep 16, 2012

I purchased my G1X soon after it came out, but haven't had as much time for photography as I wish. The time I have had with it, though, has given me a few great examples of just how much IQ can be had with this right-sized-for-travel camera. Looking forward to a week in Japan soon to really put it to a test.

Note: the shots with DxO in the name went through Optics Pro to squeeze out all the detail to be had.

A short weekend in Pacific Grove CA demonstrated the detail and SNR achievable in a simple hand-held shot.

Sunset on Asilomar Beach:

Wings of Freedom 2012. Stopping down to f16 helped capture the sense of motion but still provided great detail.

With a few hours to spare before my flight out of IAD, I ran over to the Air & Space Annex to see the Discovery now on display. The subdued lighting with strong highlights here made for challenging shooting when I last went with my G11 and I had to resort to HDR for my better shots. The G1X offered up easier shooting as one can actually use higher ISO levels without giving up noise and detail, while the 14-bit ADC really helps retaining detail in the shadows and highlights.

The old gal is looking good. Was glad to see she's still inspiring youngsters.

I travel a lot and I go with only one carry-on bag regardless of the destination or duration - that's one bag for clothes, sundries, laptop, AND camera gear. The G1X has proven to be a wonderful one-body-plus-lens travel camera that gets me DSLR results with a very compact footprint.

FauxMho's gear list:FauxMho's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G12 +6 more
Canon PowerShot G11
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow