May as well get this question out of the way ;)

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,530Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon's advice is to use a filter
In reply to Schnapper, Sep 16, 2012

Schnapper wrote:

maiaibing wrote:

I have yet to see any evidence of even a single incidence of the opposite (as in documented evidence of a filter shattering and damaging the original lens beneath more than it would have been without). I have often asked for this - but so far nada, ziltch, zero. [So once again all filter opponents - please prove me wrong!]. >

I've seen about 5 examples in these threads (countless threads on the subject over the years) where someone pipes in and shows how a filter saved their lens.

Thank you for confirming that there are regular threads on the benefits of filters in saving peoples front glass/front barrel.

I certainly would never shot in Afghanistan without a filter on all my lenses at all times.

Why not? If you think there's that much potential for projectiles hitting your lenses, would you wear safety glasses at all times? Or are your lenses more important to you than your eyes?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I and the people I have been into the field with do use protective glasses at all times when in the field. Not that they will help against direct hits but useful for avoiding minor bits and pieces that can be very damaging in themselves.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow