24 Mpixel FF vs 16 Mpixels sans AA filter

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 Mpixel FF vs 16 Mpixels sans AA filter
In reply to DaveJC, Sep 16, 2012

DaveJC wrote:

What I found so interesting was the low ISO comparisons. As a landscape photographer, I am usually with tripod and set at low ISO. I was surprised that at these settings, the difference is minimal or non existent to say the least. I had expected a 24 MP FF sensor to show obvious differences in resolution from a 16 MP APC sensor. That they were indistinguishable was shocking to say the least. On the Nikon and Canon forums, the emphasis is on high ISO comparisons. I guess that is where it will show up. Considering I was comparing the D600 to the current K-5 images, I can only expect that the K-5 IIs will do even better and may actually surpass the D600 in resolution and for almost half the price. I am satisfied that the Mpixels wars have fallen to nuances rather than leaps and bounds.

Restricting the comparison to "low ISO only" always reduces the image quality difference between cameras. If you are prepared to be so limited, might I recommend the Sigma SD-1 Merril, which is the low ISO APS-C resolution champ, since it resolves all three colors at each pixel of its 14.8MP array and needs no AA filter to avoid false color and moire. Even with that "best of all cases" scenario, you'll find more detail in the D600 shots than in the SD1 Merril shots, so don't expect any miracles from an AA-less K5, which won't match the Merril's low ISO resolution with a not-much-higher pixel count and a Bayer array. The K5IIs will not "surpass" the D600 in resolution.

PK24X36NOW's gear list:PK24X36NOW's gear list
Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow