Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rbattsall
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
GH3 same old, Panasonic listen up, we need PDAF on sensor
Sep 16, 2012

Panasonic want to market the GH3 as their 'Pro' level m43 cam with outstanding stills and video ability.
So why cripple it's AF for stills and video by not including PDAF on chip.

My GH2 can't even track kids running, nor can my E-M5. Compared to a DSLR, anything moving is so hit and miss that most users frequenting these forums recommend using single AF.

Isn't it about time Oly and Panny realized they are limiting their market when buyers can't even get sharp shots of their kids running around.

Now I'm sure some fan boys are gonna start posting some sharp shots of kids trying to prove a point and yes, even if you revert to manually focus on a point or zone focus you can do it but I want to be able to run off a series of sharp shots of the kids so I can pick the one with that unrepeatable facial expression or the one with beautiful symmetry just like I could with my old Canon 5Dii which lets face it, wasn't even a top performer in AF.

Using the GH2 with 45-200 at 200mm following a stunt cycle that was idling around the arena between jumps in good daylight, I couldn't get a focus lock because the camera movement prevented CDAF working and I consider my hands very steady compared to most.

I for one will be giving the GH3 a miss and hopefully we can look to Oly and their new relationship with Sony to get their new PDAF on sensor tech.

rbattsall's gear list:rbattsall's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MythNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow