Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,745Gear list
Like?
Re: You Can't Rock Out with a D800...
In reply to FourT6and2, Sep 16, 2012

FourT6and2 wrote:

HIGH(ER) RES. VERSION:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/182/b/4/rig_large_by_haftelm-d55lxt5.jpg

In the high-res version, I can see things better and I do not think you caught the best focus. IMO, the Gibson name on the headstock should be razor sharp and where the focus point should rest and let DoF bring everything else in. I would use Live View to fine tune focus. And if you are not sure about the aperture, get your focus, then fire off a shot at every aperture up to a point and pick the best result in post.

Anyone else play guitar? Let's see some shots of your gear.

I play - barely. In the extremely low-res photo of me appearing at the top of this post, a Rickenbacher 325 "replica" (long neck version) hangs next to a poster of Lennon playing his 325. I have never liked this particular guitar because of the narrow neck so it has served as wall art mostly for the last 15 years. And since 2003, the guitar serves as one my testing targets for new lenses.

For real playing (or for what passes as real playing from me), I use a Gibson SG and a Gibson Nighthawk (for single coil sounds). No pics.
--

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow