The NEX-6's 16-50, will it work on my 5N?

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
earthling19
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
The NEX-6's 16-50, will it work on my 5N?
Sep 16, 2012

Previous to Sony's recent announcements, I had planned on upgrading to an NEX-7 and giving my 5N to my girlfriend. Now I'm leaning more towards getting the 6 and the fancy 16-50 power zoom lens. I'm still considering just getting only the body of the 6 since I probably won't use this lens over the ones I already own. If I do pre-order the kit, I'll gift the 16-50 to her as well for her to use with the 5N, but I want to make sure the lens will work with it.

I checked in at the Sony store in the mall I work at earlier today to see if they had any information for me, but just my luck, they don't know anything yet.

On the page for the 16-50 on Sony's website, under the 'Compatibility' tab, the only cameras listed are the latest VG Handycams, the NEX-6 and NEX-5R. It's possible this is an accidental omission that will be corrected closer to the release date, as browsing the page for the standard 18-55 doesn't display the 6 or the 5R (when it obviously comes as a kit option for the latter)

Does anyone know of a specific issue with 5N not being able to recognize or power the new lens? Do you think this is an issue that could be resolved with a firmware update otherwise?

I'm going to ask the Sony representative for the store that I work at about this after the weekend to see what his opinion is on the matter. I'll update you all with whatever input I receive from the most reputable source I know, but I wanted to see if anyone already had an answer to this question, or could be benefited if I'm able to discover it.

Thanks guys, happy shooting!

earthling19's gear list:earthling19's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +13 more
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow