Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MuMinded
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938
Like?
EF-X20 Best Flash I have
Sep 16, 2012

I have 5 Nikon speedlights in varying models. My latest two are the SB-600 and SB-800. However, I can now say after owning and using the EF-X20 flash that it's the best flash that I own... Here's the simple reasons why.

1. It's not bogged down with fussy and complicated menu driven menu's, in fact, I doesn't even have a LCD screen. The adjustments are 100% control dial, or lever based. This is such an underestimated point that it goes unnoticed sometimes. When I'm shooting a quick portrait I don't want to ruin the mood by fiddling with my speedlights or diving into my Nikon menu settings.. I simple shoot, review LCD screen, quick adjust with a simple twist of the dial and I'm ready to go.. literally 3-5 seconds..

2. It's small, compact and hangs on the camera in a wonderful way. With the flash attached the camera still hangs around my neck and rides on my hip as if it wasn't even attached at all.

3. When it's not on my camera it is so small that it easily fits in my bag, ensuring that I always have it with me.

4. It provides perfect balance fill light in bright outdoor sunny conditions. This of course allows for a balanced bright background with the subject reasonably lite. Since my XPro-1 has such good low light IQ I don't use it much for indoor shooting, but when it's bright and sunny outside the flash is always on my camera...always.

5. I has a remote flash mode that allows it to fire off the camera as soon as it senses any light.. This makes it perfect for use as a small yet effective portrait flash when doing impromptu shooting sessions.

The down side of the flash is that it has no bounce capability. But, I'm already working on a rube-Goldberg design to let me modify it (with a small mirror) to allow bounce capability...

Anyone else with comments either good or bad on this flash?

Cheers,
MuMinded

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow