Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
$2750 5d3 is Ebay promotion, not downward price pressure
Sep 16, 2012

Some people have been interpreting the Ebay-sponsored sale price on the 5d3 as a sign of downward price pressure on the 5d3 because of teh 6D and D600. This is completely wrong.

Ebay is trying to position themselves as not only an auction house but also as a competitor to Amazon--a place where you go to buy new at retail. In order to promote this new marketing strategy, they are subsidizing some truly outstanding sale prices of high profile items. Selling USA warranted, brand new 5d3s for $750 less than any other other authorized dealer is a HUGE savings.

But this is not about price pressure. Adorama on Ebay isold about 600 5d3s at this price before they withdrew the listing. Beach Camera a few weeks ago sold about 200 at $2800 before they withdrew the listing.

In neither case could you get those prices at the store or through the store's online sites. This is because a subsidy from Ebay for their own marketing purposes is the source of the super price.

While the D6 and 600D will probably put downward pressure on the price of the 5d3, I would be astonished if it gets as low as $2750 anytime in the next 12-18 months. I would gues the 5d3's price will come down to around $3100 or $3200 by Christmas.

Ebay is buying this camera for you when the 5d3 is offered for $2750--with free shipping!. I think the free shipping is a condition of the Ebay subsidy in order to match what Amazon does.

Who knows if there will be any more Ebay sales like this. But if there are, it is a great deal.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow