New Tamron 90mm VC USD

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
jason sheridan
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: 100L killer
In reply to JEMD, Sep 16, 2012

I would be getting one also if the price right (under $ 700) and performance is there.

I’m sure this will be very sharp, the auto focus should be great and the Tamron VR is excellent (some like it better than Canon IS). All new Tamron VC lenses have 4 stop shake compensation so I’m sure that this lens should be the same at non-macro distances. But the press release does not specify, possibly because they know that it might not work that well at 1:1 macro distance. It should be constructed just as well as the Canon with weather sealing and a solid polycarbonate build. The Tamron is also a little lighter and smaller.

There are 2 areas where it will not be as good as the Canon 100mm L IS: The bokeh would not likely be better than the 100mm L as its one of the very best around in this regard. Also the hybrid IS will likely work more effectively at macro distances.

If it’s as good as I think it will be I will be upgrading from a non-IS Canon 100mm macro next year!! Funny it has not been mentioned on dpreview or some of the other popular photography news sites.?

Jay

jason sheridan's gear list:jason sheridan's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow