ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Philip Bloom short film using the Lumix DMC-GH3
Sep 15, 2012

http://www.43rumors.com/philip-bloom-shares-the-first-gh3-video/

Philip Bloom of the U.K. and another chap (who is apparently a member of the highly respected American Society of Cinematographers) had shot a short film using the new Panasonic Lumix GH3 camera.

I guess we had all waited anxiously this long for the coming of the GH3 -- a camera that basically can do absolutely no more than the GH2 with the hack could do, it now seems.

From an artistic standpoint, this "short film" is basically a film that never was. Just watch it through, and you'll understand.

And from a technical position, looks like there is simply no way around the insurmountable problem of using smallish image sensors for video in low-light situations. Whereas a Sony Alpha 99 or a Nikon D800/D600 would have probably recorded the available light nighttime images w/o a hiccup, the GH3 apparently struggled hard in trying to crunch it.

I was waiting for the GH3 like all the rest of us, but if this is indeed all that this camera is capable of, then one might as well just get the huge discounts given now for the GH2. In my case, looking at the footage out of the GH3 made me realize how great APS-C and especially full-frame 135 sensor cameras really are for videography.

I am also not getting how this footage using the higher bitrate codec is better than what the lower bitrate cameras can pull off?

Size (of the sensor), along with others things as well, of course, really does matter.

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow