nex 7 software update

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
Re: Binone: I'm afraid you're right - but it was obsolete...
In reply to jpr2, Sep 15, 2012

The NEX-7 firmware is a royal PITA to use and, like you wrote, the menus make no sense. That said, I set mine up just the way I like it (frankly, I used the customization guide from the Luminous Landscape review) and never had to delve into the menus during a 3-week trip. I shot over 2,000 images and the camera was a joy to use. However, there were things that I would have liked to do, but that I couldn't: Autobracketing with more than + -.7ev, for example. I just made do. But, I got a lot of terrific images. The IQ with the Zeis 24mm was excellent and I didn't break my back while carrying it all day. A more user-friendly, and photographer oriented UI would be very welcome, but the camera is quite useable as is.

Frankly, I think that Sony may have come to the conclusion that the NEX firmware was too much of a mess to bother with. Or, they're far better at designing hardware than software/firmware. In any case, I'm not holding my breath for an update for the NEX-7. But, I will consider buying whatever they replace the NEX-7 with.

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon 1 AW1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
okayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow