Too small is not good either

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gediminas 8
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Re: Too small is not good either
In reply to bobn2, Sep 15, 2012

Interesting discussion.

Yesterday I had my first chance to see and try an actual OM-D in a foreign shop (they haven't made it to our market yet). First impressions: kit lens very narrow in a funny way, like a toy lens; body not very friendly to the hands because of the many hard corners and fiddly controls; the readings in the back LCD were an overwhelming mess; finally, the silver version did not look as good inreal life as I had thought it would be.
By comparison the black one looks less pretentious and toylike.

After this initial disappointment I returned to the camera a couple more times to make ip my mind if I still wanted it. Admittedly after taking some shots I found the usability acceptable, maybe meven more than that.

By the way, on this trip I also handled the three Fujis - the X10, the X100 and the XPro1 - for the first time. I must say that I immediately liked the ergonomics and responsiveness of the two APSC cameras - it seemed better than the Oly. And the enormous viewfinder on the Pro was stunning!

If not for the poor video, reportedly slow AF and lens/price limitations, I would be snatching one of the two Fujis.

As for the Oly- it's still on my wishlist, but I won't hurry.

Raymond Wardenaer wrote:

We have been crying for smaller for a long time now. And we have got it. As pendulums always do, they swing the other way also. I find so many of the new cameras too small. At least for my hands.

Some years ago I wanted small. To carry with me everywhere, in a pocket. I bought a p&s Pentax that I could put in a cigaret leather box. I used it a couple of times, the image quality was not overwhelmingly good.

Now I wonder. How many carry their m4/3 in their pockets? I don't. I either carry it around the neck, from the shoulder or in a small photo bag. For the moment I have the E-PL2. But I would be happier with a larger body, but not DSLR large. I don't use one hand when photographing. I use both, elbows in, camera to the eye. The way I was taught to. I would like a camera in the size of the old Leica CL. Because, what is now important for an old man like me is not so much the size, as the weight. It must be light.
But not too small, please.

A few days ago I was on the Peak in HK taking photos - there were a good few people with serious camera. A couple of them came up, and one offered to take a picture of me with my camera. Not that I really wanted one, but I said OK. I suspected that he wanted a play with my camera, and there was no need to be churlish. This was confirmed when the other one also offered to take my photo with my camera. Anyway I naturally reciprocated so I could have a play with their cameras. One of them was an E-M5. I thought it felt small, nice if a little 'fiddly'. On the other hand, its owner was clearly less encumbered than I was with my D800 and a couple of lenses or his friend with his 5DIII and the 24-70/2.8L. I very much doubt that for most use there was much difference in the end results we got, so the Olympus owner was clearly getting the better deal in that situation . If tourism photography is the main stuff you do, I think that small size is a compelling advantage. But, as you say, it doesn't have to be so small as to make it hard to use.

And, BTW, of course there was no angry discussions about whose brand was better, we all had a bit of fun trying out each others cameras.
--
Bob

-- hide signature --

A travel gallery of my country and some others:
http://www.pbase.com/lithuania

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow