GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Re: There is nothing wrong with the GH3...
In reply to dr_elis, Sep 15, 2012

dr_elis wrote:

... but at some stage (IMHO rather sooner than later) Pana needs to introduce a

GHx series: DSLR-like styling - the best they can do for video and stills - the total solution!

G(3/5) series: Nex-6/7-like with integrated EVF - the best they can do for stills
GX series: GF1/GX1-like styling, no integrated EVF, but uncompromised for stills
GF series: GF5-like, the entry model

I think it's far more likely the GX line will grow an EVF than the G series will become rangefinder styled.

So far Pana was slow to make progress with the GH line, crippled the G(3/5) series even for stills, didnĀ“t really excite with the GX1 (being crippled for stills), only the GF5 fits into this marketing strategy. A line-up of just 4 models in which the top 3 provide top performance for taking stills (all featuring the latest sensors, all multi-aspect etc.): Please!

I don't think they were "slow." Top of the line bodies in any vendor's line don't get updated nearly as often as lower level ones. That's true whether you're talking Canon (compare frequency of Rebel updates, xxS updates, 5D and 1D, Nikon, Sony (look at how long it took Sony to introduce a new FF body) or anyone else.

And I have no clue what you mean by crippled for the G3 or G5. The G3 does what is was designed to do very well. It's a small camera with built-in EVF, but geared to size rather than features and controls. The G5 moves the balance a bit the other way. Both are very good cameras. Ditto the GX. The people that own them seem to be very happy with them. Just because Panasonic didn't build a camera specifically to suit you doesn't mean it's crippled. And just because Pansonic's marketing strategy isn't what you think it should be doesn't make it wrong. The universe doesn't, you may be surprised to hear, revolve around you. And Panasonic, I suspect, does significantly more market research than you do.

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow