D600, for me too little, too late for too much

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,953Gear list
Like?
Re: D600, for me too little, too late for too much
In reply to ThomasH_always, Sep 15, 2012

$25,000? Wow, I wish I had that photo budget.

Consider this: 3 years ago, the A850 sold for $2000 at 100 yen-dollar. Today, the D600 will sell for approximately the same price at 78 yen-dollar. This means that you're getting nearly 30% more content for the same price. Given the mechanical complexity of DSLRs (as compared to even top-end mirrorless cameras), that's a pretty dang good learning curve reduction in capability. If the D300 were to be introduced today, it would have to be priced at $2500 (it was $1800 in 2007). You need to adjust for exchange rates before deciding that something is overpriced.

Currently, the format that is GROSSLY overpriced is mirrorless. The manufacturing complexity of those products is vastly lower and far more electronic in content. Manufacturers are clearly overcharging relative to the profit margins common for DSLRs.

But as to your general point - yes, we've reached a point of diminishing returns here. Once one has SOMETHING to shoot with in the DSLR category, one doesn't really need to run on the upgrade wheel again for multiple generations.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow