Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidkachel
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Need input from former a900/a850 users re: d800
Sep 15, 2012

I admit I am tempted by shiny objects, so I have to temper myself and proceed cautiously.

I have a Sony a900 which, thanks to Sony's "innovation", is regrettably my last Sony camera. (The a99 proves that Sony is a dead end for me.)

Since I have no upgrade path with Sony, I am forced to switch to Nikon. My question is: do I jump now or later?

My hesitation is based purely on image quality. I am a B&W landscape photographer. A tripod is a permanent part of my camera and I never, ever use an ISO higher than 800, and that only in dire emergencies. I manipulate the he** out of my images, such that the Sony file size and resolution are the absolute bare minimum for me and are often over the edge in the wrong direction. I could definitely use more detail and a bigger megapixel count.

So, I ask d800 users who are former Sony FF users:

In your opinion, will I gain enough to make it worthwhile jumping to the d800 now, or would I be better off waiting for the next iteration of the d800 (d850, or whatever they will call it)?

-- hide signature --

People who utter the phrase 'I have a good eye' should be beaten to death with their
cameras... being careful to leave a corpse with one good eye!

Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow