GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,055Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....
In reply to larsbc, Sep 15, 2012

larsbc wrote:

TimK5 wrote:

The new GH3 is bulkier and heavier.

What is Panasonic trying to achieve? Trying to turn a m43 cam into a fat ass DSLR?

The only to buy m43s is the small size and weight. It could be a fatal move to sacrifice the only USP!

Why would anybody buy a DSLR sized cam with inferior performance (in particular sensor performance). Beats me...

Until I see a lot more photos of it in use, or see its dimensional specs, I wouldn't assume that it's as big as a "fat ass DSLR." I handled an OM-D yesterday and I have to see that its control layout felt cramped, and I have smaller-than-average hands. Something a bit larger with a better control layout would be of value to me.

Basically I agree. Whereas I felt right at home with the G1 from the get go, the E-M5 felt rather awkward from the beginning. This wasn't entirely unexpected. I already had a sense I would prefer the ergonomics of the G1 (and successors) with a real grip. Nevertheless, I was a bit disappointed. On the other hand, things have gotten noteably better as I have become used to the camera. It took me a couple of months but now I feel at home with the E-M5 and am not really bothered by the way it handles any more. This might be worth keeping in mind if you are considering getting one.

As for it being too large, well, lens size has a LOT to do with the size of a camera system. I typically travel with a super wide zoom, normal zoom, a fast prime, and sometimes a tele zoom. Looking solely at the lenses, I see a huge benefit in using micro four-thirds as my travel system.

Yes, that's the main point for me as well. Within the limits we are talking about here, body size isn't all that important to me and a slightly bigger body may have some advantages in addition to the obvious downsides.

I have no problem if the GH3 is a little bit bigger than the GH2. It wouldn't negate the value of the m43 for me. And if it provided a more comfortable control layout and/or more direct controls, then I'd actually prefer it over the GH2 (or OM-D).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow